Amongst the best reasons to live in Ottawa:
- Beautiful, historic buildings, like the neo-Gothic edifices on Parliament Hill.
- It’s the only place in Canada where national news and local news are almost always the same thing.
- Occasional sightings of various heads of state (Hu Jintao is in fact arriving in Ottawa today).
- Lots of beautiful parkland.
- A massive street party every July 1.
- Regular earthquakes for your comfort and entertainment.
After today, I join the elite few who have stood within a stone’s throw of a 5.0-magnitude eathquake’s epicentre and lived to tell the tale. No damage – just a glass that fell off my desk and didn’t break. Plenty of excitement.