Guy on phone with heavy Indian accent: Hello, this is Windows Operating System technical support. There is a problem with your computer.
Me: Oh, really.
Guy: [beat] Hello?
Me: Get lost. *click*
Let me note a few items of relevance to your friendly neighbourhood phishing scammer:
- There is no such thing as “Windows Operating System technical support.” The company is Microsoft.
- Microsoft has no mechanism for detecting “problems” with every Windows-running PC in the world.
- Microsoft does not make unsolicited technical support calls.
- Even if they did, they don’t have this number.
- The computer is a Macintosh.
If you get a phone call something like the above, don’t do what they tell you. This scam has been doing the rounds for a couple of years. From what I’ve googled so far, they will attempt to give you instructions that would grant them remote access to your computer.
Sorry, Apu. Not this time.